Saturday, March 22, 2014

Theatre returns to the Avalon

Have you been to the Avalon Studio yet?  If not, it should rank high on your outing list!  It is the space above the Home Hardware(ish) on Bank Street, where, many years ago, the Avalon Theatre stood.  You may have noticed The Acting Company's sign on the sidewalk or door at some point. Chances are you have a child who takes a dance class there, or maybe an acting class.  But tonight was all about the adults!  Third Wall Theatre is currently presenting Harold Pinter's "The Dumb Waiter" in the Avalon Studio and I was able to go with five friends, in a crowd that totalled no more than 55.

This was my first Harold Pinter play, and I liked it so well I want to see more - not to mention my actress-neighbour Mary Ellis was in the play, and I always enjoy being so immersed in her character that I don't recognize her!  But I am even more excited about the simple fact that there is a place to see theatre right here in our neighbourhood (in addition to the community theatre produced each year by GNAG - speaking of which, do you have your tickets for "Family in a Box" yet?).  This is exactly the kind of business-diversity we need on Bank Street and is a great addition to Ottawa's cultural scene and programming space in the Glebe.

Kudos to co-founders Chris Ralph and John Muggleton and the rest of the Acting Company's team!  Thanks for the space for my daughter to learn dance and for me to connect with my love of live theatre!  And for all you blog readers, "The Dumb Waiter" is on March 23, March 28-30. 

No comments:

Post a Comment