Sunday, March 30, 2014

Family in a Box

Have you ever had the thought that you wished your family was just "normal"?  That's the underlying theme in GNAG's most recent community theatre presentation "Family in a Box" which I saw (along with GCA Planning Committee chair, Bobby Galbreath and his wife Mackie) last night.

I have to hand it to the people who wrote the script (Glebe residents) and those acting.  It was a great representation of the daily challenges of family life: having dinner together, taking care of aging parents, focusing on school, relationships, shovelling snow (!).  I saw reflections of my daily life a few times, I saw friendly and support interactions between neighbours, and I had a rare glimpse into different perspectives (could that be how my kids really see me??).  I think theatre is great when you are still thinking about the play the next day, which I am.

The reflection of our neighbourhood was very well done, but I especially loved the very end, when one of the actors paid tribute to Eleanor Crowder.  Many readers will know that Eleanor has been a long-time driving force of community theatre here in the Glebe (and throughout Ottawa, of course).  As a result, many of us in the neighbourhood have the opportunity to express our creative selves, while the rest of us have the good fortune to enjoy the results of their creations.

Thanks GNAG, thanks to the actors, and thanks Eleanor for sharing your magical gifts with our community!

Christine

1 comment:

  1. Fully agree with this review. In short, a well rounded cast, great writing and the youth showed their talent. Looking forward to the next offer.

    ReplyDelete