Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Skating at Glebe St. James Rink

What better way to work off some of those extra cookies than to spend part of New Year's Day at the new Glebe St. James skating rink?  Mind you, it could have been a bit less cold, but with the Glebe St. James Tennis Club clubhouse to warm up in, the cold hardly mattered:





I was excited to see the rink being well used.  When we arrived, there was already a game of shinny underway, but there was still lots of space for other non-shinny players, young and older:




What I loved most of all was the rink and club as a community gathering space.  I met one resident who hadn't been on the ice in three years since a serious surgery who was just getting his skating legs back (seems they never left him!);  there was the mom who had been a figure skater growing up, who joined in the pick up game so she could learn to play hockey (looked to me like she held her own);   the three young girls who won my admiration for their hockey-playing skills (a sport not many girls played when I was younger);  and the dad I recognized from the school yard but had never had a chance to formally meet.  I was happy to be recognized from my picture which runs with my column in the Glebe Report - which confirmed for me that people are reading the column!

My husband's parents are visiting from New Brunswick and joined us on the rink.  I think they are happy that we are raising our family in a friendly community that values fresh air and active lifestyles enough to provide local opportunities to have fun together.

I want to extend a very big thank you to the people at Glebe St. James Tennis Club, GNAG, the GCA, the City of Ottawa and a number of other supporters for your initiative in developing this fantastic community resource.  Although my toes still haven't warmed up, I'm looking forward to many more hours of skating.

See you on the rink!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment